Story added on 21st July 2007
It was decided towards the end of 2006 that our Argosy was in need of a good clean. However because of a forecasted window of good weather it seemed a good time to implement our plans to give it a re-paint in time for the summer season. Although a large area the complete airframe was washed and scrubbed using scouring pads (I forget how many) as a power washer does not cut the mustard when it come to Midlands grime. Rolls and rolls of masking tape later and a mountain of 4 inch rollers we had a very shiny presentable looking Argosy.
SPOT THE DIFFERENCE (No Prizes)
The interior was also painted and split in to three distinct sections, fore and aft freight holds and a centre seated (classroom) section. Both freight doors recieved attention so that it is now possible to show the roll on roll off freight arrangement, to its best advantage.
Lastly we decided that such a vast upper wing area could be put to good use as an aerial advertising hoarding so we wrote our name on the wing for all aviators to see (and its worked). Photo courtesy of Helimed.
Danish Hunter gets a new identity
After 6 years in the Black Arrows scheme we have re-painted our Danish F51 Hunter (E425) in to the more colourful EPTS Rasberry Ripple. A complete refurbishment of the cockpit interior has been carried out, with a new main panel having to be populated and fitted, along with the re-painting of the pristine condition inside of the fuselage in etch primer. Topped off with a new canopy she sits proudly in her new Museum location just awaiting the final touches.
Now open by request to public viewing the only way to appreciate the condition of this fine example is to come and see her for yourself,
We are fully aware of the arguments for and against lookalike frames pretending to be what they are not, the owner of XE601 on which this re-paint... read more
Whirlwind Paint & move
Great news for 1960s fans, after a long search we eventually came up with a new scheme for our Whirlwind that dated her right back with the Beatles. Used exclusively by Bristows for its entire life we were anxious to come up with an earlier scheme rather than the classic red white and blue.
Rubbing down the tailcone provided the first clue, two shades of blue. A black and white picture gave the scheme but not enough detail to start the paint job. Then a very early colour picture appeared courtesy of Lee Howard that didn't quite match our actual colours found on the frame but gave us the final pieces of the jigsaw. So you see her now fully re-painted and moved in to our "Interactive" area, blades removed to give her some room and a new lease of... read more